I'd like to take a moment to honor Harold Howard, one of the early pioneers of mixed martial arts (MMA). I feel the man is often overlooked when discussing the legends of this young sport. Consider the following:
- He was the first man to defeat UFC Hall of Famer Royce Gracie when Gracie threw in the towel before the fight, chickening out due to dehydration and a broken foot.
- Is the only man to attempt a flipping axe kick in the octagon (see video below).
- Wore a mullet without irony.
- Boasts a record of 2-3.
- Is currently incarcerated for two counts of attempted murder, two counts of assault with a weapon, attempted breaking and entering, failure to remain, flight from police, dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, mischief, and two counts breach of recognizance after being captured by police after attacking his sister and nephew with a hammer, attempting to force his way into his estranged wife's home, and finally crashing his car into a casino.
Why the UFC has failed to recognize such a legend is not known. I just hope my little blog can go some way to rectifying such an injustice.
Under The Dome by Stephen King
John Dies At The End by David Wong
Fool by Christopher Moore
Jingo by Terry Pratchett
The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett
Bobby Fischer Goes To War by David Edmonds and John Eidinow
The Summoner by Gail Z Martin
The Book of Basketball by Bill Simmons
Gator A Go-Go by Tim Dorsey
Divine Misfortune by A Lee Martinez
Open by Andre Agassi
The Jordan Rules by Sam Smith
Night Watch by Terry Pratchett
Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett
Homicide: A Year On The Killing Streets by David Simon
The Will Of The Wanderer by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman
Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris
Nine Dragons by Michael Connelly
Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett
Supreme Courtship by Christopher Buckley
The Truth by Terry Pratchett
Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
Thud! by Terry Pratchett
Men At Arms by Terry Pratchett
Why I Fight by BJ Penn
The Hero With A Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell
To Read Pile
Star Island by Carl Hiaasen
Bone Shaker by Cherie Priest
Going Postal by Terry Pratchett
Making Money by Terry Pratchett*
* Pratchett is obviously my default author to read when nothing new is out. I would guess I read almost all his books 1 -3 times a year.