Pages

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Face It. People With Red Hair Are Better Than You.


Last night I was watching the Neanderthal Code on Nat Geo, and the narrator mentioned that some Neanderthals had red hair. This is a fairly new discovery considering as early as fifty years ago we believed our genetic cousins were mere ape men who may or may not have walked upright.

So this got me to thinking about the red head's (ginger's) place in the world. Like Neanderthals, gingers were once the object of scorn and prejudice by the rest of the world. And by rest of the world I mean Religious People. Red hair was once thought to be a mark of a beastly sexual desire and moral degeneration. Yeah, they considered that a bad thing. Beastly. Red hair and green eyes were thought to be the sign of a witch, a werewolf or a vampire during the Middle Ages. Maybe all three at once.

Of course this was during civilization's low point, and some 1,500 years in the past. Today we know that red hair is caused by the melanocortin 1 receptor (MC1R), a protein located on the 16 chromosome. Pigments are also involved, causing people like me to yell at random strangers, "Hey, Darkie, think you got enough eumelanin there? Why don't you try getting some more pheomelanin? Ya jerk!"

Ginger's are here to stay like it or not. We may be sex-crazed vampire maniacs, but we are people too. Also, according to one expert (me) we smell better.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

why should we listen to a lousy Daywalker?

of course, gingers are merely the penultimate level of evil. everyone knows the true scourge of humanity is gingers who *also have curly hair,* like little orphan annie or that one chick in dazed and confused.

Andy Einstein said...

Hey, Nordic Track, I'll tell you why you should listen to me. Shut Up! That's why.

Unknown said...

Hey AndZig you are right on with your ginger theories and such. We will keep on keeping on.... Happy Danzig fest and sandwich fest. Yes I read it finally. You Rock!! We shall celebrate soon with sandwiches and Danzigfest!!!! Fur coats not included. :)

Anonymous said...

wow jason you insufferable bitch. if i were there id put you through a beating that would make satan cringe, maybe then i'd scalp you and give you a fucking red wig and have you live with it. wow. people like you are the filth of the world for wasting the air of people who are worth living.

Sophi said...

I so totally agree.
Personally, its hilarious that they thought we were vampires and witches and such.
Hahahha. (Yes, i am one too)
even though we're only about 2% of the entire worlds population (Slowly decreasing might i add -_-) we'll be here for a while, i just know it :)

Oh and by the way...
Jason, go fuck yourself.

(;
x

Anonymous said...

I found this page looking for tips on how to make my hair color stay in longer, and it needed to be said:

I dye my hair bright red (not that auburn shit, I'm talking fire truck, stop sign, color=#FF0000) just so I can be almost as cool (and not clash with) as my ginger boyfriend.

Anonymous said...

red hair is great. my hair is naturally a red blonde, but i dye it redder. i would rather die than go blonde or brunette.

Aidlinn Ness said...

http://ginger-parade.skyrock.com

Anonymous said...

Gah. I hate it when people use the term "ginger". My US Govt teacher will go to say gender and instead say ginger and then everyone just looks at me, and starts laughing and snickering. I hate it.
I have curly red hair. Not orange, its red. I have green eyes. I'm pale, I have some freckles. WTF did someone even come up with ginger from? No life people. :P

Anonymous said...

found this looking through pics on google. I'm a redhead, sort of copper/auburn naturally I dye it redder because I'm proud, it is and always will be THE best colour for hair and anyone giving people crap about it sucks.
team red with love :P

Anonymous said...

cute girl

Anonymous said...

It sounds like Jason was joking. The entire post is just dripping with sarcasm, sort of like the title of the article.