Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

More On The Diet, Odds And Ends





Still Trying To Cut The Cheese


After my last post frequent commenter and all around cool dude Bryan Campbell asked that I go into a little more specifics about what I have and haven't been eating recently.

I think answering the what I don't eat part of that will prove easier. The very first rule Angie and I set for ourselves was No More White Flour, Added Sugar or Starch. In essence, we eliminated almost all processed foods from our diets. I say almost because initially dairy was still a big part of my daily consumption. Since we are shifting to a paleo diet I've gradually reduced the dairy. I still throw a little cheese on my salad and sometimes add a slice of cheddar on my burgers.

One misconception I hear a lot that I'd like to clear up: A paleo diet is not an all-meat diet. In fact, the phrase "paleo diet" is a bit of a misnomer. The foods that existed in paleolithic times are either gone or have changed to the point that they look completely different. A paleo person never saw anything like the domestic cows we feast on, and wouldn't know the modern banana if he slipped on the peel in hilarious fashion. Even the air they breathed was different. That said, do I eat a lot of meat? Hell yeah. I love meat, and eat it at every meal - mostly grass fed meat. But I eat a lot of veggies, too. In fact I'd wager I eat more veggies than almost anyone I know (that's my grocery cart pictured above). For the sweet tooth I still struggle with, a nice handful of mixed berries usually does the trick.

Odds And Ends

- If you haven't seen HBO's Game of Thrones yet, find a way to do so. If you haven't read the books, do that first. The first two episodes have followed the books almost exactly, with only a few minor (very minor) tweaks. I can see this show replacing Dexter as my current favorite. The books are second only to Discworld as my favorite fantasy series.

- I'm glad to see the St. Louis Cardinals have decided that hitting the ball is conducive to a successful season.

- The script for Bill and Ted 3 is finished. The end draws nigh.

No comments: